In 2017, the City of Miami Beach was awarded funding from the Miami Foundation Public Spaces Challenge to launch a "park hopper" scavenger hunt via a kayak tour so that people can access Miami Beach's public spaces via an underutilized transportation system (its waterways). The city will accomplish this by installing signage with environmentally-focused clues, as well as a resilience tour phone app.
The first part of this project will be launched in the Maurice Gibb Park/ Biscayne Bay area and is intended to achieve the following outcomes:
- Promote the creation of a sustainable and thriving environment
- Welcome to an exploration of the city's waterfront public spaces
- Connect the people from land to water
- Increase people's interaction with the water
- Encourage healthy lifestyles
The Park Hopper scavenger hunt and kayak tour is estimated to launch in early 2018.